Computer – The longer you use it, the slower its performance tends to become, which can lead to annoying system freezes and/or crashes. It’s frustrating to deal with a slow performance & dysfunctional computer.
But there’s hope in the form of key computer maintenance practices.
E.g., scanning your computer for viruses and spyware, optimizing disk space and cleaning up junk files that can speed up and improve your computer’s performance. Below are Six solutions to help clean, fix, and speed up your slow computer.
1. Clean up unnecessary PC Startup programs :
When booting up your PC, multiple programs can and will automatically startup in the background. This will slow down your computer’s startup time. To help speed up your PC’s load time, only necessary programs should be set to run when starting your computer.
Some programs have options that allow you turn off their automatic startup function. Uninstalling unnecessary startup programs will also help speed up your computer’s startup time.
Manually disable programs from starting up when Windows starts up using the msconfig utility.
- Click on Start -> Run (or just Start in Vista/7), type in msconfig and press return.
- Click on the Startup tab to view a list or programs that starts up when Windows does.
- Uncheck the box next to all the programs you don’t want to startup automatically.
2. Run a disk defragment:
Over time, data becomes scattered across your hard disk as it is written, read, and deleted. This can slow down your computer as it takes additional time to find and read the necessary data. By running the disk defragmenter, the data is consolidated in one location and related data is placed near to each other.
- Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter.
- Click on the Analyze button to allow Windows to check if the disk needs to be defragmented (see image below).If Windows reports that the disk needs to be defragmented,
- Click on the Defragment button. This may take some time to complete. Try not to use your computer whilst it is defragmenting.
3. Uninstall Unnecessary software:
Occasionally, people download software that is rarely used or unnecessary. Uninstalling these programs can free up hard disk space and speed up your computer.
- Click on Start and then Control Panel.
- In Windows XP click on ‘Add/Remove Programs’. In Windows Vista/7 click on ‘Programs and features’.
- Select the program you no longer need and click on Remove/Uninstall:
4. Delete cookies, cache,Temp Files and internet history from web browsers:
Over time, your computer saves temporary internet files, Windows files, and junk and duplicate files.Use the Ccleaner to identify and clean PC files that are no longer needed on your computer.
Deleting or removing your cookies, cache and internet history will free some of your computer’s disk space, enabling your computer to run faster.
5. Disk Cleanup :
Use the Disk Cleanup tool to free up space on your hard disk. This inbuilt Windows tool will scan for files that can be safely deleted.
- Go to My Computer, right click on the C: drive icon and choose Properties. Click on the Disk Cleanup button:
- Disk Cleanup will take a short while to scan the hard drive:
- Once done, tick the boxes next to the items you would like deleted and then click on Ok to delete. It should be safe to tick all the boxes if you wish:
- Malwares can be also reduce your computer performance ,by using some Anti malware tools we can increase our PC speed and can also remove the unwanted malware programs.
- You can download Malware bytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link, then double-click on the icon named mbam-setup.exe to install this program. http://goo.gl/0S14aB
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process, then at the last screen click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan, and then click on the Scan button to start searching for the PC Speed Up malicious files.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for PC Speed Up as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan has finished, click on the Show Results.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the computer infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has detected. Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked), then click on the Remove Selected
- No matter how fast your computer is when you buy it, it will become slower. That’s inevitable. But there is a lot you can do to make it work better. Proper computer maintenance can save you a lot of time and money. We hope that this post will help you to keep your PC running at top speed for as long as possible!. You may also like speed up your computer without any software.